Helpful list :)
- Im 18 years old, and I got my tonsils out 6 days ago. Pain has been bearable, mostly because I take the pain meds on time, regardless of pain level. TAKE YOUR MEDS!!!! Even if the first days are a breeze, the pain gets progressively worse. DRINK WATER!! You won't be able to eat anything for a while, but you must drink water, even if it hurts! If the pain is too much try ice chips :) EAT: Popsicles (great on the first few days, non acidic flavors though!) Apple sauce Broth (not hot though, room temp) Jell-O Soft noodles (after a few days) DON'T EAT: Anything red Ice cream (nasty, mucus-y residue left on throat, makes one gag horribly) Anything harder than soft bread might rupture the scabs forming in the back of your throat and might make you bleed profusely. If this happens you need to go to the ER immediately. ( I know UK people are told to try to eat normally ASAP, however, I'm going by my ENT's instructions, which so far have worked, because I'm doing great!)
- —Guest Sarah
- First of all NO DAIRY PRODUCTS! It will cause mucus to build up in your throat, therefore making you want to cough, and if you cough there is a chance of you cause your throat to bleed. What I've been drinking is Flavoured water (watermelon), gaterade (fierce grape), freezes, pop-sickles, Rainbow Sherbet, peach juice, sometimes an ice capp surpreme (mix the whip cream in it, makes it easier to swallow) And Make Sure You Take Your MEDS On Time, and take all of the meds your doctor prescribed. This is day 6 for me, day 7 if you include the day of surgery.
- —Guest Alley16h
The Worst Experence of my life.
- The Pain is the worst. It's Day Seven & not much has changed. I can Barley open my mouth. Water & Jello. I want a Sandwich so bad!
- —Guest Christina
- I just had mine out 2 days ago and I'm 18. Water is one of the best things! But slushies are helping a lot too. Mashed potatoes and gravy as well as soup has been easy to eat but make sure they're not to hot! And be sure to take yours meds all the time on schedule it will make a big difference!
- —Guest Kels
- So this is my 4th day after surgery, including the day i got it done, anyway it hurts soooo bad, just my throat though other then that i feel fine, i can barely drink water, and ice cream or dairy products, make me want to cough, cause it coats you throat. But chicken noodle soup (juices) has been really good, its easier to swallow then water. But i also suggest taking your meds, and drink as much as possible, cause when my cousin got his tonsils out, he wasn't drinking, and when he finally decided he wanted to drink something, his throat was raw and made him bleed out twice and the 2nd time he had to get blood transfusions because he barely had a pulse. So do what im doing and drink as much water as you can so you dont bleed out
- —Guest Alley16h
End of day-4
- I'm 21. Day 4 over with. First day I was actually able to be productive. I had a protein shake, ice cream, and an ice cappuccino.. I want a Burger so bad right now. I haven't had more than I just told you. The pain was steady from day one up until now. I'm feeling good about tomorrow, I'm going to try some Mac and cheese .. pray for me!
- —Guest Aaron
19 years old, post-op day 2
- I had my tonsils out yesterday and survived on Popsicles and speedway slushies yesterday. Today I was soooo hungry, we tried some mashed potatoes but found they were too thick to swallow because of all the swelling. However, if you cut the potatoes with chicken broth it turns into a kind of potato soup! delicious and thin enough to swallow. definitely helps with the hunger :) good luck!
- —Guest Megan Ruestman
Im 12 and got toncilis removed yesterday
- Yesterday I got them out and was laying in the recovery room. I wanted my mom but I was strong enough to calm myself down. I listened to the nurse when she said stop rubbing your eyes politely to me. When you get out of the thing that makes you sleep, you'll be dizzy. When the nurse takes you up to your room your [parents might be there or coming, mine was in the room:) she said hey baby with a smile I felt so happy! I wanted to hug her but I couldn't because I was to dizzy and sleepy. so i fell asleep and then I woke up. Then I was feeling a bit better but not that good. While I was in the hospital I puked 3 times. First you have to drink a LITTLE SIP! NEVER MORE!!!!!!! You will have a bigger chance of vomiting if you drink lots of water! The next day you can drink a bit more of water you will feel a bit better. sleep a lot the first 2 to 4 days! Hope I helped!!!
- —Guest Leila
- Hi im 46 years old and had my tonsils and adenoids out yesterday so today has been day one cool soup and ice pops and jacket spuds have been the order of the day i feel fine in myself and am going back to work tomorrow
- —Guest daz
- My tonsils were taken out 5 days ago, it hurt to swallow anything, but I found out that mashed potatoes and jello go down really well. Both my medicines make it hurt even more before they kick in but it barely touches the pain. The doctor said I'd have the most pain of any tonsil surgery because mine were so far back in my throat. It sucks majorly. And your breath reeks no matter how much you brush your teeth, btw I'm 15.
- —Guest Christina
- Its been 3 days and it hurts soooo much but eating jello really help its easy to eat it doesn't hurt much so I like it ,today I started to eat rice ( not such a good idea ) but the best food u can eat is jello ice cream and water ,good luck and get better soon ^^ (I'm 16 )
- —Guest Haya
5 year old tonsills out
- my son has his taken out yesterday..woke up screaming right after, got pain meds and 20 mins later we were leaving the hospital and he was fine.. we have kept him hydrated, and you really wouldnt know he had them taken out except when he wakes up from a nap.. he is starving.. when he wakes up i spray a mist of cold water in his mouth he says it helps a lot.. we r only on day but he seems fine to me
- —Guest mommad
It's not that bad!!
- I had my tonsils out yesterday, had 2 yogurts in hospital and lots of water!! Ice cold water is brilliant to soothe the pain, last night I had chicken and sweetcorn soup from the Chinese takeaway. It goes down easy as its like a broth with a little bit of chewing, which is good for you to keep using muscles in your mouth, all makes healing process quicker, it just takes a long time to eat anything and the temperature of the food needs to be cooler! Today I think I will have noodles, nothing too heavy or cloggy if that makes sense, oh ya and sorbet too :) good luck all!!
- —Guest Charlie
Tonsils out-- 35 years old
- I am much older than most of the people that have posted here, but found that on day 10 eating pickles totally numbed my throat and now I can swallow really easily!! It's temporary, but who cares-- a little relief is good.
- —Guest Lori
recovery 5 days later.
- I had my tonsils taken out 5 days ago.. i'm so hungry that my stomach is making noises... it's that bad. I have been clenching my teeth in my sleep so my tongue and teeth hurt most. i can barely drink water as well... im 18 years old.. feel like im about 5 right now.. pain is so unreal. NOBODY believes me.
- —Guest kelsey