1. Health
Kristin Hayes, R.N.

Dear Anti-Vaccine Activist

By January 15, 2012

Dear Anti-Vaccine Activist,

I saw my brother today who told me a sad story. The small child living next door to him had just passed away from the flu. He also told me that another nearby neighbor was very much against vaccines and likely influenced the parents of the deceased child not to get a flu shot.

As I lay in bed that night, thinking of the tragedy, my beautiful autistic five year old climbed into bed with me and fell asleep in my arms. I thought of the heartache and suffering a family was going through, grieving for their lost child. I wondered if the incident would change the neighbor's view on vaccines. I wondered if the parents of the dead child would somehow hold this family responsible - if there would be animosity. I wondered if they would fear for their own unvaccinated children now that a deadly flu virus is circulating their neighborhood. But most of all, as I lay there, I wondered, if conclusive evidence was revealed that vaccines caused autism, if the government and the vaccine manufacturers openly admitted it, would I be sorry that I had vaccinated my autistic child?

Dear anti-vaccine activist, I want you to know that the answer is no, I would not be sorry I had vaccinated my child even though she is autistic. My daughter is not high functioning, she has many, many problems and we have been down a rough road paying for therapy out of our own pockets. While I do hope that new treatments and possibly a cure will help her in the future I must accept the fact that I will likely physically and financially care for her for the rest of my life and pray fervently that someone else will care for her when I am gone. That said, my child is alive! She is wonderfully, exquisitely alive and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Just thought you should know,

Kristin

Comments
January 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm
(1) Victoria says:

If the kid had ever received a vaccine in his entire life, then his immune system was already damaged. No flu shot would have saved him–he would likely have contracted it and died from it either way. The damage had already been done.

The flu shot is not recommended for children under 5 and for pregnant women. It has never been tested for safety children or in pregnant women. It is not recommended for either demographic.

A healthy, intact immune system is any person’s best bet to fighting viruses. The ‘flu shot’ has been shown over and over again to be ineffective at preventing influenza infection or lessening symptoms once infected.

January 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm
(2) Kate says:

I agree. Vaccines are more dangerous. We will never vaccinate again.

January 15, 2012 at 11:11 pm
(3) Hal Jordon says:

Oh please, Kristin. Don’t be so melodramatic. My child is wonderfully, exquisitely alive as well and he’s never had a shot in his life. I offer my prayers for your child and to the parents of the deceased little one. I also pray that parents may continue to make their own choices when it comes to their children and vaccination.

January 15, 2012 at 11:13 pm
(4) JJ says:

Kristin-

I am a parent of a vaccine-injured child. He is now 7 years old and getting better thanks to hard work and lots of treatment/therapy. Autism sucks! If I could take it away and make my son feel better and live a typical life I would In a heartbeat! If I could go back in time and know what I know now, I would never have let his Dr. Give him three shots at one time. It’s too many, too soon! The schedule is over-whelming for a baby’s immune system to handle. What other time in your life would a Dr. Give you exposure to more than one virus at once knowingly. If you have the flu, your body can fight it off. That’s what it is made to do! Some people naturally have weakened immune systems and need to build natural immunity to things at an early age. Vaccines inhibit that ability and exposure. Since when is it dangerous to get chicken pox? I had them and everyone else I knew did as well. We all survived and now have immunity.
Google the ingredients in the flu shot and tell me if you want any of that in your bloodstream! Formaldehyde, mercury( thimerasol), aborted fetal tissue, aluminum, etc. I’ll use vitamins and natural remedies and take my chances. I will never vaccinate my son again…. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me!

January 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm
(5) JJ says:

Oh, and one more thing. The flu vaccine in studies has shown to be 30% effective in most people. If you understand how virus’ work, you would know that they mutate as they travel, and it starts in China. Which is where they develop the vaccine according to the strains they find there. So, by the time it gets to the United States, it has mutated so many times the odds of you contracting the original strains are slim to none, leaving your immune system to brave the virus on its own. Ohhhhh, scary! Lol

January 16, 2012 at 12:23 am
(6) EricsGirl says:

I don’t mean to invalidate the feeling of this poster, but I really believe her feelings are based on bad science and fear mongering from an industry who stands to gain everything from making us believe their shots will save the lives of our children. There is no evidence a vaccination would have saved the life of that precious child, and ample evidence that it has endangered the lives of so many more.

I find this post tragic in the worst way.

January 16, 2012 at 12:29 am
(7) Misses Nada says:

Dear Anti-safety, pro-neurotoxin, pro-carcinogen advocate,

If only you would join parents who wants safer vaccines vs. blame them for every disease related death, we might make progress toward better compliance.

Regardless, vaccine compliance rates are at an all time high, and flu related deaths, while tragic, have never been impacted very much by the unpredictable vaccine.

January 16, 2012 at 1:19 am
(8) Anne McElroy Dachel says:
January 16, 2012 at 3:07 am
(9) Lowell says:

This article is clearly a desperate move, and it deceives the public as to the truth; and actually and out rightly as to common sense.

Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead
by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

Dr. John Cannell on vitamin D

Epidemic Influenza And Vitamin D

(Take vitamin D in adequate amounts; why aren’t they testing peoples levels? They don’t want to know, nor you to know there is an option. If you are worried about the flu; a clean diet and no sugar, adequately supplemented with vitamin D and C will go much further than any toxic flu shot!

Children Who Get Flu Vaccine Have Three Times Risk Of Hospitalization For Flu, Study Suggests

Shock vaccine study reveals influenza vaccines only prevent the flu in 1.5 out of 100 adults (not 60% as you’ve been told)

The Truth About The Flu Shot, by Dr. Sherri Tenpenny

And the CDC recommends thimerosal containing flu shots for every pregnant woman in existence; are you kidding me. Why do you think the FDA has never approved that? Answer: Because it has not been adequately tested.

Thimerosal, (mercury) is still in several of the flu shot brands, unless you ask for supposedly mercury free.

January 16, 2012 at 3:19 am
(10) Lowell says:

And you wouldn’t care if you knew your child’s autism was caused by the vaccine you gave? THAT discredits anything you have to say right there! More fear mongering with absolutely no science an no reality put to it, only fuels this debate further, and the public’s desire to know what you are covering up; and who you really work for. What you did here only harmed your agenda further, rather than supports it.

Next time do a post on the benefits of testing your vitamin D levels, and in the use of adequate supplementation? Or perhaps a post is in order on the reality of the fact that the IOM is wrong in only recommending 400 IU of vitamin D per day; when an adult generally will be deficient enough to require 5000 IU per day or more. Wow.

January 16, 2012 at 4:33 am
(11) John Stone says:

Kristin

The legitimate question posed by critics of the vaccine lobby is not only whether the benefits outweigh the risks (for which there is poor enough evidence) but also whether they are as safe as they could be.

You make a human appeal but the truth is the system deals with indifference to the families of damaged children, without an ounce of sentiment or decency. If someone is knocked down by a car it is not left to the family to prove it. But this is where we are with vaccines.

January 16, 2012 at 5:46 am
(12) Lowell says:

And do you support as well the thimerosal containing flu shots recommended by the CDC, for pregnant women? A said vaccine that the FDA has never approved for that use, because no sufficient testing has been done.

The Truth About the Flu Shot

Why This Nurse WON’T Vaccinate!

January 16, 2012 at 6:11 am
(13) tonybateson says:

Please do not address me as Dear Anti-Vaccine Activist. I am not anti-vaccine. I am completely unconvinced however that childhood vaccines do anything to prevent sickness and disease.

I have sought for over fourteen years to find evidence of unvaccinated autistic people and I have comprehensively failed. The few instances that have been reported to me in thousands of enquiries do not stand up to critical examination and those that do reveal that kids have been exposed to vaccine materials indirectly or through a mother receiving shots in early pregnancy. I have not found a single exemplary instance of a wholly unvaccinated child becoming autistic.

Parents who say their child was autistic from birth seem unable to point to a period (prior to two months or so by which time a child has been vaccinated in the UK) when this first became apparent to them, most often ten months old or so.

Where are the unvaccinated autistic people?

Tony Bateson
Chelten ham
UK

January 16, 2012 at 7:10 am
(14) Chiddu says:

Sorry lady, you have been badly brainwashed. I feel for your poor kid.

January 16, 2012 at 7:35 am
(15) Chanda says:

It’s apparent here with warrior mom Kristin….that her ignorance is rather bliss. =)

January 16, 2012 at 10:41 am
(16) Val says:

Very nice piece, Kristin. The anti-vaccine movement has blood on its hands. Unfortunately, I’m afraid it will continue because they base their opinions on their personal feelings instead of the facts. It’s easier to scare people than to reassure them, and that’s exactly the approach this movement takes.

January 16, 2012 at 10:58 am
(17) msmasb says:

Val, how mistaken you are. The anti vaccine movement, in some cases, the green our vaccine movement, has truth on their side, not blood. If vaccines are so safe and so effective, why can you not sue the vaccine makers if your child is vaccine injured? Because THEY have blood on their hands. I have seen my son become vaccine injured, thanks to the Hep B. He shrieked form hours, had a golf ball size lump, and fevers as high as 105°. Slept for the next 3 days. And began his descent into autism. Should you read more than the government tells you, you would know the blood is on their hands, not ours.

January 16, 2012 at 11:06 am
(18) Val says:

You can sue them, so long as you demonstrate that the problem that led to the adverse event was violation of their FDA-approved production protocols. You cannot sue them for adverse reactions (which are extremely rare) because the Congress granted them protection as a public health measure. The companies were getting sued (and almost always won) and were spending a huge amount of money on litigation. It was becoming apparent that vaccines, which have the lowest profit margins of all pharmaceuticals, were not worth the insurance cost to the companies for potential litigation. Thus, the companies were on the verge of halting all vaccine production, and that would have led to a cataclysmic increase in infectious diseases and deaths, particularly among children. Do you remember the “Iron Lung”? That’s what the nation was facing. And that’s why the Congress passed the legislation.

January 16, 2012 at 11:09 am
(19) Debbie Voss says:

“Blood on our hands?” How exactly is that? 30% effectiveness at best and this is the fault of an unvaccinated child? Not only are you grabbing at straws, Val, you are offending some very educated parents. Talk about “fear mongering”. Sheesh.

January 16, 2012 at 11:24 am
(20) Val says:

No Debbie, the facts are clear. Vaccines have reduced many childhood diseases to nothing in the United States. You’re clearly too young to remember polio, smallpox, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, bacterial meningitis and diphtheria that killed or permanently disabled tens of thousands of kids every year. Those who don’t vaccinate their kids today are taking advantage of those of us who do (and assume the risks).

January 16, 2012 at 11:55 am
(21) Carolyn says:

Kristen,

Since your entire article is based on hearsay and there is no proof this child’s death was caused by not being subjected to a flu shot there really is no credibility to what you have stated. I also wonder why you would sensationalize such a tragedy without knowing and being more informed. In all likelihood these parents may read your comments also. I cannot not imagine that and the horror they would feel due to your lack of empathy and compassion to the situation.

If you want to advise parents on safe vaccine use read up on it and do some research. Especially if your child became ill immediately after being vaccinated and lost all ability to speak or relate to another person. Many parents have described what happened before their eyes, their children’s illness, and what they face each day trying to return their child to the healthy child they had prior to their vaccine injury. This is factual, not hearsay, and not done to scare others without premise, but to provide information that others may use to prevent similar injury to their child.

I do hope that those reading your piece will also read these comments and know their decisions are those they will have to live with either.

Lastly I hope you will read the articles others have provided indicating deaths connected to vaccines. Then I hope you will write a piece that is reflective of those facts, not hearsay about someone you may not even know nor is there causation information provided or verified. Then perhaps you will realize individuals like myself are not anti-vaccine. What are individuals who believe in choice and safe vaccines and who educate ourselves on the subject due to our personal experiences, not hearsay.

Respectfully,
Carolyn
A mother of a child who was vaccine damaged

January 16, 2012 at 11:57 am
(22) Nat says:

These diseases were on the decline way before vaccines. Improved hygiene has made all the difference. Many vaccines were never tested for safety on children, or pregnant women. In fact some vaccines ( D.P.T.) are tested on mice, ‘ if the mice continue to live, gain weight ‘ after vaccinated, then they are safe for humans. That is how they figure ‘safe’. You wanna trust the mice ? Good luck. Some of us choose not to play Russian roulette.

January 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(23) John Stone says:

Kristin emotes and Val emotes, and the purpose is to drive out tolerant discussion in which the other side might have a point – and this is not a level playing field. The real point is that if your child is hurt by the system you are on your own: no one wants to know about vaccine damage – it is simply not good form.

In order to prove it you will have to take on the state and the medical profession on their own territory (not mention media and internet bullies).

This has nothing to do with good science: it is simply maintaining the status quo using unpleasant rhetoric.

Perhaps Kristin ought to learn a lesson from this: increasingly it is not working. Most of the people posting here see through the tactic, and you’ll just have to think of someting else.

The vaccine manufacturers have blood on their hands. SCOTUS has ruled that vaccines are “unavoidably unsafe”, Federal and State legislatures have mandated the products for use on US children so if it goes wrong and someone is injured or loses their life it is just tough. The vaccine manufacturers are completely protected and there is no sanction on them to make sure their products are safe.

This is a story about rapacious greed and social repression:

January 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm
(24) Tammie says:

Mechanisms of aluminum adjuvant toxicity and autoimmunity in pediatric populations
L Tomljenovic1⇓
CA Shaw2
1Neural Dynamics Research Group, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
2 Experimental Medicine and the Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Abstract
Immune challenges during early development, including those vaccine-induced, can lead to permanent detrimental alterations of the brain and immune function. Experimental evidence also shows that simultaneous administration of as little as two to three immune adjuvants can overcome genetic resistance to autoimmunity. In some developed countries, by the time children are 4 to 6 years old, they will have received a total of 126 antigenic compounds along with high amounts of aluminum (Al) adjuvants through routine vaccinations.

January 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm
(25) tammie says:

According to the US Food and Drug Administration, safety assessments for vaccines have often not included appropriate toxicity studies because vaccines have not been viewed as inherently toxic. Taken together, these observations raise plausible concerns about the overall safety of current childhood vaccination programs. When assessing adjuvant toxicity in children, several key points ought to be considered: (i) infants and children should not be viewed as “small adults” with regard to toxicological risk as their unique physiology makes them much more vulnerable to toxic insults; (ii) in adult humans Al vaccine adjuvants have been linked to a variety of serious autoimmune and inflammatory conditions (i.e., “ASIA”), yet children are regularly exposed to much higher amounts of Al from vaccines than adults; (iii) it is often assumed that peripheral immune responses do not affect brain function.

January 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(26) tammie says:

However, it is now clearly established that there is a bidirectional neuro-immune cross-talk that plays crucial roles in immunoregulation as well as brain function. In turn, perturbations of the neuro-immune axis have been demonstrated in many autoimmune diseases encompassed in “ASIA” and are thought to be driven by a hyperactive immune response; and (iv) the same components of the neuro-immune axis that play key roles in brain development and immune function are heavily targeted by Al adjuvants. In summary, research evidence shows that increasing concerns about current vaccination practices may indeed be warranted. Because children may be most at risk of vaccine-induced complications, a rigorous evaluation of the vaccine-related adverse health impacts in the pediatric population is urgently needed.

January 16, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(27) tammie says:

That deadly flu was man made! H1N1 and avian flu are MAN MADE

January 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm
(28) Val says:

@Carolyn – In 2009-2010 flu season, 77% of children who died from influenza were not vaccinated. The odds of dying from flu are far greater if the child is not immunized.

@Nat – Other than clean drinking water, the implementation of vaccines has had a greater public health impact than anything else. Without vaccines, children would be dying in droves still today. The experiment has already been done when Japan changed the immunization schedule for DTP from 2 months of age to 2 years of age for the first dose. Within two years the number of cases and deaths from pertussis increased 100-fold. When they returned to the 2 month schedule the incidence of pertussis declined to the previous levels. There is no doubt that vaccines have controlled these diseases and there is no doubt that without them the diseases will return and kill again.’

Before the pertussis vaccine was developed 10,000 children died every year from pertussis. While the vaccine was initially tested in animals, it was only after it was shown safe and effective in those that the vaccines entered human clinical trials. Once again, it was shown safe and effective. In addition, constant surveillance is done for post-license safety testing. It is safe and it works.

@John – This isn’t about “tolerant discussion”. The facts are clear, vaccines are an essential tool for public health. I’d wouldn’t be any more tolerant of someone who claims 2 plus 2 is 5.

January 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(29) Zoey says:

At 51, I am NOT too young to remember when everyone got measles and chicken pox. People were NOT afraid of them like they are today. Children were not dying right and left from measles. Watch the Flintstones episode where Betty and Wilma get the measles to see how scary it wasn’t. And measles are more dangerous in adults than they are in children.

I am also not too young to remember a time when most children were not chronically ill, and most children could sit still in a classroom all day. ADHD, asthma, allergies, chronic ear infections were all RARE and autism wasn’t on anyone’s map.

I have had measles, chicken pox and the mumps, just like most of my older siblings. But unlike them, my younger brother and I had vaccines for measles and mumps. Guess which ones had asthma and allergies? (Not to mention the chronic ear infections I had.) Not a TRACE of allergies in the older siblings. But I developed them at 11 and my younger brother at 6. Why? Well, we were vaccinated FAR more than our older siblings. And you know what? Back then, in the early 70s, we were practically FREAKS that’s how uncommon asthma and allergies were.

Fast forward 40 years and chronic ear infections, asthma and life-threatening allergies are at epidemic levels. What’s changed? Take a look at the vaccine schedule for children. And then do some research on effectiveness of vaccinating infants (hint: its not). WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

January 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(30) Val says:

@Zoey – Do you have any data to support your supposition, or is it just based on your personal observations? First it was autism, now it’s asthma? Moving the goal posts, eh?

In 1964 and before, there were millions cases of measles in the US each year. Thousands of kids died and thousands more were disabled from complication of encephalitis. That year the US embarked on its immunization campaign and by 1968 the number of reported cases declined to about 20,000. Today, the only cases of measles are because of importation; often because some unimmunized young person who travels overseas and brings it back with them.

January 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm
(31) thixotropic says:

You can’t honestly claim that 77% of children dying from influenza weren’t vaccinated when:

1) the fluvax is not recommended for children age 5 and younger and in that year, wasn’t being given to that age group.

2) there was widespread, deliberate attribution of illness and mortality to H1N1 or influenza that wasn’t either illness.

77%? That is the same percentage of the populace that came down with pertussis despite being fully vaccinated for it.

We’re not “anti-vaccine activists”. We’re thinking people who will make our own decisions based on the evidence, not fear-mongering panic-spreaders running around with a gel that works less than half as well as soap and water. Washing your hands is the #1 most effective way to prevent disease transmission.

January 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(32) Victoria says:

Val, you should back up your own position with DATA before demanding that other people do. So, let’s see it!

January 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm
(33) Val says:
January 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm
(34) Sheri says:

My prayers go out to the family and loved ones of the deceased child.

Influence goes many ways. I hate that many people are often influenced to take drugs and vaccines with partial to no information on the dangers.

If we as a people stood up and asked more questions and demanded answers, if we cared for life more than we did money…the we would have studied our bodies enough to know what is safe and what is not.

We have polluted our environment and poisoned our bodies with not only drugs but also artificial foods…Then we say…” Why is everyone getting cancer and other diseases…why are we dying?” We want to please our urges and not our needs.

The Core is surrounded by many many deep issues I don’t have time to touch on.

What we the people should me demanding is more research, okay so ” little Timmy” had a reaction to the vaccine…but from what we SEE…SEE on the surface is that “little Johnny” did not have a reaction…okay now take that info and run with it…find out what makes the boys different….where did they grow up, where did their parents grow up, genetic markings etc….RESEARCH this and when we get an answer then we can pretest and see if “little Joey” or “little Sammy” is “safe” to take the vaccine…until then…UNTIL THEN!!! Stay away from my kids with the killer….yes they kill too…drugs and vaccines.

January 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(35) Val says:

@ Anne McElroy:

I read the link you provided and another on the same case. Terrible tragedy. I hope the parents get to the bottom of it. Judging from the description from the mom:

“Kaylynne developed a headache and fever. By Sunday it spiked to 102.3 and the little girl started vomiting and became disoriented.”

“Tuesday morning she got up and her hands and legs were purple, so we called the doctor’s office and they said bring her right up. So we did,” Nicole said.”

It sounds more like bacterial meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis. I guess we’ll have to wait to see what the lab results are.

January 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm
(36) Val says:

@Sheri

I’m sorry, but what you said:

“Vaccinating is not the answer, it never has been the answer. It is sad but the strong survive.”

Is really bizarre. You are willing to accept disease and death of children when they are preventable? That’s really outrageous.

January 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(37) Victoria says:

The only thing that tells you is that people who have high risk medical conditions are more likely to die from the flu. Where’s the data that shows a comparison between the unvaccinated and the vaccinated who contracted influenza and the statistics on how many from each subset died? Throwing around a bunch of unanalyzed data just isn’t going to cut it, ok?

January 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm
(38) Victoria says:

Oh, and it can’t be a CDC study. They’re currently being investigated for falsifying studies, so use an organization that is trustworthy. It would be best if it were a study done by a company that has nothing invested in pharmaceuticals. Good luck!

January 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm
(39) Val says:

Victoria, people like you cannot be convinced otherwise. You’ve formulated your opinion and you’re not receptive to anything that shows otherwise. This is not the X Files. There are so many research papers published on the effectiveness of vaccines in mitigating childhood influenza that I cannot list them all here. However, here are a few for you to look up.

Neuzil et al. 2001. Ped Inf Dis J. 20:733
Clover et al. 1991. J Inf Dis. 163:300
Oya and Nerome. 1986. Opt Contr Influenza. 183-192
Hoskins et al. 1973. Lancet 2:116

There are many, many more. Anyone who says that vaccination does not reduce the incidence of influenza is ignorant of the facts.

January 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(40) Bill says:

A recently released study revealed that computers capable of measuring the dimensions of the human face, and comparing dimensions such as the distance between the eyes, and the distance from the upper lip to the line of the eyes, could accurately discriminate between autistic and normal children.
Vaccines cannot change a face; the dimensions of the face are set early in fetal development as is the brain, so the vast majority of children with classic autism were destined to be autistic from the moment of conception.
One could argue that in some extremely tiny percentage, something like one in a million, a vaccine could cause harm, and that harm could result in autism-like symptoms, but logic simply fails when we compare saving millions from the harm of flu or measles or whooping cough or rubella, versus the one in a million who might be harmed. Another interesting point about the one in a million child who was harmed; if their immune system could not handle a dead or weakened virus in a vaccine, what would have happened to them if they had eventually been exposed to the virulent illness epidemic in an unvaccinated population?

January 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm
(41) Victoria says:

Well, Val, looks like you can’t back up what you say after all. It’s alright, don’t beat yourself up, nobody who believes in vaccines can.

January 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm
(42) Victoria says:

Bill, that is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. EVER.

January 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(43) Val says:

What are you talking about, Victoria? I listed four references that show influenza vaccines reduce the incidence of influenza. Go to PubMed and look them up. It’s not my job to hold your hand.

January 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm
(44) Amy M says:

My mother is paralyzed from the flu shot. Within 15 minutes of receiving the injection, she fell to the floor from a massive pulmonary embolism, and 6 weeks later in Nov 2009 awoke at 1am paralyzed from the chest down – and was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis as a side effect from the flu shot. She has not recovered and probably never will.
My son was injured from the DTaP, and has many health conditions from the issues stemming from that, on top of the autism diagnosis he received, that he will have to deal with the rest of his life.
So dear Kristin, you do as you please with your family, and leave others alone. Some of us have suffered far worse perils to warrant where we stand with vaccinations and you should probably keep your thoughts to yourself. Complications arise on either side.
Each person should have the choice in their health. Why worry? You got the shot… so you’re safe.. right? Or don’t you buy into your own story? If you did, you wouldn’t be worried.
Vaccinations are the biggest scam in history. They don’t work, and if you believed they did.. you wouldn’t be blogging about this.
Tell me, did pharma pay well for this little push? I can’t see any other reason for someone sticking their nose into other people’s health matters.

January 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm
(45) Victoria says:

No you didn’t. Unfortunately the study I asked for doesn’t exist. Providing me with these studies done by pharma shills really doesn’t help your case any.

January 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm
(46) Concerned in MN says:

@ Bill: “One could argue that in some extremely tiny percentage, something like one in a million, a vaccine could cause harm, and that harm could result in autism-like symptoms, but logic simply fails when we compare saving millions from the harm of flu or measles or whooping cough or rubella, versus the one in a million who might be harmed.”

Where are you getting 1 in a million?

If health authorities continue to deny that there are no adverse events to vaccination, then this would be zero in a million. But they do not really know what the rates are – no mandatory reporting.

BTW, I believe that the poster here gains money for herself with each response she gets – I would not waste time because she is obviously posting this inflammatory article to get a lot of responses. It is vile to make money off of denying vaccine reactions do exist!

January 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm
(47) Indiana Nurse says:

Here is how post marketing surveillance goes. FDA approves a drug. It goes to market. People are given the drug…by choice or force. People report side effects and adverse effects. FDA is supposed to look into these and withdrawl drugs that are found to be dangerous. Unfortunately, with vaccines, parents and vaccine recipients are not educated on the risks of these products. If they are told anything, it goes something like this. “Vaccines are extremely safe. We give hundreds of these a year and nothing bad ever happens. There may be slight fever or a little redness at the injection site but that is all. They have to list all these other adverse reactions because there is a one in a million chance it could happen but you have nothing to worry about. Vaccines are miracles and extremely safe.” That is it. No one is ever given the package insert and time to read it with explanation as needed. No one is ever educated on how to report any of the adverse reactions noted on the package insert. To do so would make the previous statements of how absolutely safe vaccines are a lie. Thus, adverse reactions to vaccines are rarely ever reported, yet the VAERS has thousands and thousands of reports. What good are these reports if everyday people do not know they are there and how to access them? Take a look at Vioxx. Tens of thousands of people died from it before it was finally taken from the market. That is only the number of deaths we know for sure about. So, it boils down to this. Vaccines are not ALWAYS safe. Therefore, each parent and adult has to have all the facts in hand and time to research the topic, ask questions and make an educated informed choice. I for one, after careful investigation of vaccines, can not consent to them for any member of my family.

January 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm
(48) Wayne says:

@Bill. What a load of crap. I guess your computer story goes right there next to the study that pregnant women that live near freeways are more likely to have children with autism, or wealthy families or those that live near power lines or those women that drink more diet sodas.

And you 1 in a million will have an adverse reaction. If that is the case, using basic math to extrapolate the # of kids who have cases filed with the Vaccine Court each year, we should have more kids being born in the US than the current total population of the US x 12.

January 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm
(49) not anti-vax but pro health! says:

I love it when a doctor or RN posts! Thanks Indiana nurse!

Vaccines are a medical procedure with a one-size-all-approach. Ridiculous! Ludicrous!

How can one POSSIBLY defend the safety of vaccines when they knowingly allowed them to contain Thimerosal for decades (a preservative used for the non-live viruses). This is a $$$$ driven industry. Period end of story.

January 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(50) Val says:

And yet thimerosal has been out of childhood vaccines for 10 years, yet the incidence of autism continues to go up. In other words, thimerosal is safe and effective.

January 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(51) Lizz says:

I really like all the anti-vax whiny cry babies who are commenting this article. Want some cream for your butthurt? Ignorance is a beautiful thing. I think your kids are compromised by your stupidity more than they would be by being vaccinated. When they get the measles go ahead and keep telling me how it’s so stupid to vaccinate.

January 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm
(52) Wayne says:

TO Lizz and Val. Most of us are NOT-Anti Vaccines. We are promoting an environment of safety and more research.

And Val. Provide any credible thimerosal study that proves it is safe.

Just read this.

January 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm
(53) Val says:

I stopped reading that link when I saw Hillerman’s name.

If thimerosal caused any of the conditions that the antivaccine movement claims, we’d know it by now. It certainly doesn’t cause autism – that coffin has been nailed shut. The “problem” with science it that it cannot disprove a negative. It can never show there’s no such thing as ghosts. Thimerosal is perfectly safe and effective. Its removal only led to more expensive vaccines.

January 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm
(54) Wayne says:

Val. You have to better than that. Cannot provide a safety study on thimerosal. And then you keep narrowing your education by automatically discounting other studies that show an opposing side to your argument. You will not get far.
Ask about the studies that you support about thimerosal. Most of them have been discounted because of poor design, lack of control groups, etc.
SHow us a safety study about thimerosal and aluminum. That study does not exist but it does in vaccines.

January 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(55) Val says:

The antivax movement claimed that MMR and thimerosal caused autism. That’s clearly been disproved. Now they are moving on to other, even more irrational suppositions. If there were a connection between vaccines and some adverse event, we’d know it. This is exactly what happened with the first rotavirus vaccine. An extremely rare event was detected in post-license monitoring and because of it the vaccine was pulled. After it was reformulated it was reissued. That was several years ago and there has been no statistical evidence of adverse events. The system works.

January 16, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(56) Wayne says:

Time to move on Val. You cannot provide any support to your statements. Thimerosal was studied in 14 different reports or studies. Those studies show no link of thimerosal to autism. One ingredient. No research on combining thimerosal with other ingredients. Show us a vaccine that only contains thimerosal other than the live or dead virus. There is none. So you are supporting your argument.

And most of these people on this post are safety, not anti-vax.

You need to become more aware of your surroundings instead of just promoting the talking points that are provided.

January 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(57) elisesmom922 says:

I am sorry that the child died, and sorry that the writers child is autistic. That being said, no parent in their right mind wouldn’t want their child(ren) to be whole and healthy. My son has a medically verifiable and VAERS reported vaccine injury. His allergic reaction was abrupt and so severe he almost died. And though his damage has been minimal, I would go back and do it VERY differently. We are not all “Anti” vaccine, if I could give them to my child and know beyond a doubt, that they would be safe, I absolutely would. But I cannot. And I for one, am not willing to sacrifice my child for the herd or so called greater good. If others are willing, that is their prerogative and they are their children. I just read an article the other day about the US wanting to do an anthrax vaccine study using children, but no one would let their children be used. if vaccines are so safe and effective, why not? And why not let children be tested with the other vaccine studies as well? Because even if you are a vaccine believer, you can not say that there has never been doubt, and until I can, I will not vaccinate any more.

January 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm
(58) Ms.Mort says:

My son couldnt get his vaccines when he was born do to some of the birth defects that he was born with. We had to wait a while before getting them, i had to ask friends and family of mine not to come over because they didnt vaccinate their children. I couldnt take the chance of him catching something they had before he could handle it. It was hard but i am a strong believer in vaccines. My son with all his issues has never experienced any of the adverse side effects from the vaccines. His immune system wasnt the best when he finally recieved them but he never had any issues. He is hardly ever sick and is ok now and i thank God that he is here. He is considered special needs but you cant tell. Id rather take the chance of my son getting autism and being with me than not have him at all. To each his own of course.
The only advice i have is make sure that all the information any of you get is from credible sources. There is a lot of information out there that isnt true. On the other hand we should all be as informed as possible. Not all children are the same and everyone may react differently to particular vaccines.

January 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm
(59) Bothnian says:

To Bill who says “vaccines cannot change a face”. Please go to 2:00 of this video.http://www.omsj.org/corruption/vaccines-autism-mixed-signals Kimberly Sue Leteure was not born this way, the vaccine injury changed her face, though in other vaccine injured individuals, this may manifest differently. Sometimes the skull swelling and inflammation in encephalopathy leaves altered appearance, either in the short run or the long run– if the child survives: http://www.omsj.org/corruption/vaccines-autism-mixed-signals

January 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm
(60) John Stone says:

Val

So vaccine safety is is like 2+2? Please supply evidence.

January 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm
(61) nhokkanen says:

Another child is dead. We should mourn… but there are so many more to mourn for.

Is life so full of human tragedies that we choose rationalizations to limit our compassion?

Should nurses like Kristin care only about deaths from vaccine-preventable disease, and not deaths from vaccines?

Why polarize the vaccine safety issue, berating parents chose children suffered adverse events and continue to be profoundly disappointed by pharmaceutical-focused doctors?

Condoning vaccine injury means accepting mediocrity, malpractice — and manslaughter. Does society say nothing when other consumer products maim and kill?

Tens of thousands of families of vaccine-injured children are connecting via social media, exchanging medical histories. If their nonverbal children could speak for themselves, they’d probably voice opinions far different than the self-serving words of a mom who wants scapegoats and easy answers. They would want a life with full mental and physical capacities.

Parents must do more than pray for their autistic children’s futures. Government is failing our families, unless everyone affected by autism makes their voice heard.

January 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(62) Todd M. Elsner, D.C. says:

Dear Ms. Hayes:

I find it amusing with your experience and education you would write such an article. We are talking about the flu vaccine, right? The same vaccine the New York Nursing Association protested in 2009 when the state tried to make it mandatory. Why is it the people whom routinely administer vaccines speak out in protest when the vaccine is about to become compulsory for them? Hypocrisy is the one work that comes to mind, but actions speak far louder than words.

There are numerous scientific studies showing the flu vaccine doesn’t work – please feel free to review the following: (http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/new-study-flu-vaccine-doesnt-work/

Also, the flu vaccine still contains the preservative thimerosal (49.6 percent ethylmercury by weight). This is the second most toxic chemical (neuronally) on the planet, second only to radioactive plutonium. It was Hugh Fudenberg, MD, the world’s leading immunogeneticist and 13th most quoted biologist of our times (nearly 850 papers in peer review journals) that stated, If an individual has had 5 consecutive flu shots between 1970 and 1980 (the years studied) his/her chances of getting Alzheimer’s Disease is 10 times higher than if he/she had one, 2 or no shots. He contributed this to mercury and aluminum that is in every flu shot. So you want people to trade the flu for AD?

January 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(63) Todd M. Elsner, D.C. says:

Since he (Fudenberg) mentioned aluminum (which is in almost EVERY vaccine) I must quote from the lead author, Dr. Chris Shaw, at the University of British Columbia who is/was PRO VACCINE and studied the affects of aluminum on neuronal cells: “No one in my lab wants to get vaccinated. This totally creeped us out. We weren’t out there to poke holes in vaccines. But all of a sudden, oh my God—we’ve got neuron death!” They found the adjuvant aluminum hydroxide causes the same lesions as those seen in ALS. (http://imva.info/index.php/vaccines/aluminum-hydroxide/)

Here is a video of what mercury does to the brain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqVDMr9ivo

I am sorry to hear your daughter has autism. Since you are so adamant about vaccines please research the similarities between autism and mercury poisoning.

Also, you may want to research the 3,587 miscarriages caused by the 2009/2010 H1N1 vaccine.

Just a few thoughts you may like to embellish upon.

January 17, 2012 at 9:50 am
(64) julia says:

Val, Who told you that Thimerosal was out of vaccines? And for ten years? riiiight. Oh right, probably the CDC who gets their information from drug companies “studies?” Laughable.

January 17, 2012 at 10:35 am
(65) ent says:

To reply or not to reply is always the question when it comes to comments on my vaccine blogs. To be honest I grow tired of reading the accusations and the nonsense let alone the occasional death threat (talk about dramatic). Perhaps I should explain why I wrote this blog. I often fill my blogs with studies and technical speak which is immediately thrown back in my face with shoddy research cited from websites like Age of Autism which, just so you know DOES capitalize on every click. I have found that no amount of common sense will do any good.

BTW I have read enough BS, dead wrong information in almost every post on here about the flu shot that it is unbelievable that you people can point fingers. (more on that below)

I have cared for children hospitalized to the point of death by chicken pox, hepatitis, shingles, RSV, whooping cough, and the flu, all of which are vaccine preventable. Every year children die from these diseases and while it is true that a small # of children have reactions to vaccines (some serious and some which cause neurological problems) if you look at the numbers the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I never said autism doesn’t suck. I said I have spent thousands of dollars in treatments trying to cure my daughters autism. Of course I would take it away if I could, but given my sweet precious girl w/ autism vs. a DEAD child???

I also never said that improving the safety of vaccines or any medication is not high on my priority list so don’t put words into my mouth.

January 17, 2012 at 11:14 am
(66) ent says:

Victoria: The flu shot IS approved for pregnant women and children over the age of 6 MONTHS

JJ: The rumor that vaccines contain aborted fetal tissue is melodramatic and untrue. I personally have cared for children who have died from the chicken pox.

Misses Nada: Vaccination rates have dropped disturbingly and outbreaks (and deaths) of whooping cough, measles and mumps have risen significantly.

Debbie – the latest research shows that the flu shot is effective 60% of the time and that the nasal mist is effective 80% of the time. This is why the recommendation is that children have a booster 1 mo. later.

Lowell – I find it fascinating that you’ve jumped on board the latest vitamin movement. I myself have taken over 8,000 IU per day (based on the fact that the nutritionists at the hospital give shots of 80,000 IU) and have still gotten sick. It’s not a cure for everything.

msmasb – you can sue if your child is vaccine injured but you won’t win b/c before your child got that shot YOU the responsible parent signed a waver that said rare and dangerous side effects could occur. It was YOUR responsibility to read and accept or decline the shot with the RISKS HAVING BEEN FULLY DISCLOSED (if you’re not smart enough to read something before you sign it, I don’t know what to tell you – that goes for you too Indiana nurse, you do I presume give your patients this info?).

John – “Sorry lady, you have been badly brainwashed. I feel for your poor kid.” Does that sound like tolerant discussion to you?

I disagree. Everyone wants to hear if you think your kids autism was caused by vaccines. If you have a child w/ autism and you DON’T believe it was caused by vaccines people will write you and tell you you lack empathy, are a bad parent, have been brainwashed . . .

(continued)

January 17, 2012 at 11:25 am
(67) ent says:

Wayne – Thimerosol WAS removed from SINGLE dose vials of vaccine serum ten years ago. This doesn’t mean anything to you but it means everything to me, a nurse. The U.S. has moved almost completely away from using multi-dose vials of ANY medication (including vacs) due to the high risk of accidental O.D. I cannot even recall the last time I drew up a shot from a multi-dose vial. In fact, I don’t believe, that I have EVER given a vaccine from a multi-dose vial.

All of the facts I have just pointed out are linked to credible research on my site.

I want to make it clear that I do not prefer my child or any other to have autism but that I am celebrating my child. She has certain gifts that are hers and should be noted as special, and I will not sit around wringing my hands and trying to place blame for her autism. I believe that she was different from birth – before birth, with erratic behavior from the end of the 2nd trimester that led to an emergency induction (and no vaccines during pregnancy!) I am tired of people looking at her sadly and telling me I should che-late her. I am tired of people telling me that b/c I believe in immunizing that I must be sadly misinformed.

I also do not believe that all cases of autism are caused by the same thing. If you believe your child had a reaction to a vaccine I am not telling you they didn’t. What I am telling you is that I have sat at the bedside and watched perfectly healthy children leave this world from diseases they could have been immunized against and it is my personal belief that their deaths could have been prevented.

January 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm
(68) northern tracey says:

I have a query. Did the child that ‘died from the flu’ receive other vaccines? Probably. Was her immune system healthy? Probably not. What caused her immune system to be unhealthy? Vaccines?
What treatment did she receive for her flu? Pharmaceuticals? Probably. Was she given fever suppressants and pain killers? Almost certainly. So what killed her? A usually harmless flu or medical intervention? I think most of us know the answer to these questions.

January 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(69) Val says:

Tracy, you have no idea what influenza viruses can do. Sometimes a “good” immune system actually kills the patient. The truth is, if you’re immunized against flu, you are much less likely to die from it if you ever encounter the virus.

January 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(70) Val says:

@Todd

Fundeburg is a quack. He lost his medical license in South Carolina for quackary. He has no peer reviewed publications supporting his assertion that aluminum in the doses used in vaccines is harmful in any way. Kids, particularly those who live in cities, get exposed to far more pollutants in their environment.

January 18, 2012 at 5:38 am
(71) Lowell says:

Unlike many of you that replied here and obviously work for the medical establishment, I will use my full name, Lowell Hubbs and declare that I have no conflicts of interest.

I created a response to this article here.

Dear Pro-Vaccine Activist

Vaxed verses Unvaxed Health

Show Me The Science

January 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(72) loopygreebo says:

I have two sons, both vaccinated. one has autism, one doesn’t. There’s no proven link between autism and any vaccination. I have a very low immune system. Last winter I chose not to be vaccinated against flu or pneumonia. I almost died from the latter. Vaccinations saved my life. By the way, I’m diabetic, and have four injections a day. It isnt so long ago that I wouldn’t have a life expectancy of 50 years. Now I can add quite a few more years thanks to medical science. I believe that all people that choose not to vaccinate their children should be held to account for the harm that the kids may come to as a result. Harsh, yes, but I’ve been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

January 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm
(73) Alyssa says:

So agree with #4. My daughter is autistic. I believe she was predisposed to it, but I also believe the vacines add insult to injury. I feel this way because she is also severly ADHD with it. As soon as I got educated about what is in vacines I never gave another one to my children and they never get sick and are doing great. I also won’t give them to my dog’s or cat’s.

People need to wake up and realize the drug companies are out to make money any way they can and it is no skin off their teeth if your child developes an illness or “disablility” from said drug.

January 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm
(74) Ditto says:

I also have a child that has autism (severe) and I’m so thankful to have him healthy and happy even with all of his many challenges. I would never want him to suffer from a vaccine preventable disease, much less die from one.

I am so sick and tired of anti-vaccine activists trying to hijack all autism discussion with their conspiracy theories.

There is absolutely nothing to say to these anti-vaccine loonies, they are stuck in their own alternate universe and no amount of science, history, or logic can bring them out.

Great post Kristin!

January 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm
(75) ICU_RN says:

Ditto and all those that have written in support of this blog… I applaud you for not backing down to this cult-like movement against vaccinations. I agree with your statement ditto that no amount of science will change their minds just like Y2K was going to be the end of the world until it wasn’t for cultists. I really feel sorry for people that think they are above science, not that science is perfect, but basing your ideas on something that has so repeatably been disputed and only backed by shoddy evidence and fabricated by physicians that don’t understand how to conduct proper scientific experiments is mind boggling. Is it possible to have a reaction to anything… yes… I could die eating a peanut, choke while eating and laughing (should we ban humor and comedy central?), wreck on the way to work, I’d be willing to bet your child has a greater chance of getting shot in school than contracting autism from a vaccine. And an even greater risk of suffering from a disease because of not being vaccinated than having a reaction to a vaccine.

January 19, 2012 at 12:28 am
(76) Lowell says:

And the CDC recommends the injection yearly of a thimerosal containing flu vaccine in ever pregant woman they can get their hands on? How irresponsible and in denial is that?

VRM: The Problem With Vaccines Part 2 – Synergistic Effect of Heavy Metal Toxicity On The Body

Mainstream Science Now Says: Vaccines Are Not Safe 1/3

Alex welcomes back to the show Dr. Russell Blaylock, a nationally recognized, board-certified neurosurgeon, health practitioner, author and lecturer. He talks with Alex about the fluoride threat and other health and nutrition issues.

Published papers

January 19, 2012 at 2:37 am
(77) ms.mort says:

Ditto I love your post. I think many people forget that association doesn’t mean causation. Autism can associated with vaccines but doesn’t mean they caused it. Some of it is genetics.
My sons immune system wasn’t 100% and he got all his shots at once including the flu vaccine and again he didn’t have any reaction to them except a few tears from the shots. Which have turned into tears of joy for me knowing he’s healthy and safe from all the getting something that could kill him.

January 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(78) Nicole says:

Its probably pointless to comment on here no amount of proof will sway this anti-pharma thinking but I feel like I should mention something that hasn’t been brought up. Many of you mention that big pharma is paying people off to promote pro-vaccination and how it’s all about the money, which I will not deny that big pharma makes loads of money on selling drugs but they are also the ones who make alternative medicine so I doubt that helps anything. I feel like Andrew Wakefield should’ve been mentioned here! He made up a load of crap about the MMR vaccine causing autism (not the flu vaccine) even the parents who volunteered there children for his research said he lied in his results and in 2010 he was discredited and had his medical lisence removed. He did all of this so he could make a big profit. He “knew” what the results would show before he even started his research, which from what I’ve learned is a big no no in science. If you want to learn about this you can search for Brian Deer’s articles about him in the British Medical Journal it is quite terrifying that one man could put so much fear in so many people

January 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(79) Shirleen Moulton says:

As Kristin’s mother I would like to point out that she is an RN and bases her decisions on valid studies.

February 29, 2012 at 7:13 am
(80) Elysse Parsons says:

I also have a 5 year old daughter with autism, she had 24 vaccines before she was diagnosed. Well, the first time I heard about the connection with vaccines, I was also furious. But 3 years after that, through research and talking to other parents and doctors, the best thing that I could’ve done would be to delay the shots and not agree with the 5-in-1 and 7-in-1 shots. But I believe that flu vaccine is fine. I would still give her vaccines, now that she’s a bigger girl and her body is bigger and can take the shots.

I love your post. I can totally relate.

dry throat
my autism blog

March 6, 2012 at 8:44 pm
(81) autism treatments says:

Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the issues.
It was truly informative. Your site is very useful.

Many thanks for sharing!

January 7, 2013 at 5:14 pm
(82) Seizures says:

My 5 year old son suffered from a febrile seizure 2 years ago in May, which I suspect is thanks to the flu vaccine. He was perfectly fine when i dropped him off at preschool, than when my mom brought him home, he started mumbling incoherently, looked confused and disoriented, than his face turned blue and his seizure began. He was unresponsive and fainted. My mother reached me at work ASAP and I called the ambulance. Luckily they arrived in less than 10 minutes, took his temp [104] and put the oxygen mask on him. The 30 minute train ride from work to the hospital was hell…I was scared, angry and than mad. What would I do if the little guy did not make it? He is a healthy child, do not have food allergies and may have had a few colds that lasted weeks upon receiving the flu shot. No more flu shots for my kids. Our children should not be the guinea pigs for these disgusting moneymakers. Funny how the this year’s flu vaccine overseas [Canada/Europe, Japan] was recalled immediately in October 2012 due to floating particles, but the US has yet to make a recall.

February 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(83) Todd says:

My account of the fly vaccination as an adult who’s been having strange problems since I got the shot in October 2012. I got the shot at work and woke up next day with a mile sore throat. No big deal.

Then the nightmare began.

The sore throat turned into some unusual and painful symptoms and within 2 weeks, I started experiencing swollen throat, nodes and ears. It has never gone away. I’ve been to several doctors that acted like I was wasting their time and I saw an specialist twice who casually suggested I had something called transient allergies and to be patient. He also cautioned that my symptoms could last up to 2 years.

An occupational nurse eventually told me she had a friend that went through similar issues for a year after her flu shot and it was undetermined what was the cause. Moral of story? Avoid the flu shots. My experience has taught me that if they make you sick, the doctors and gov won’t help you.

February 19, 2014 at 6:57 pm
(84) Pro-Vaxer says:

pro-vaxer here*. i just wanted to point out that the efficacy and value of vaccines is unquestioned by anyone with any legitimate medical or scientific training. (btw, allergists and chiropractors don’t qualify in my opinion.)

i have done my own research and i consistently find two recurring themes in the vax debate:

1) every supposed scientific paper that AVers link to to support their views inevitably ends up being produced by an advocacy group and published in a non-peer reviewed journal, such as the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS/JPANDS). sounds like a science outfit, but is in fact a political advocacy group.

2) 98% of the population at large, and 100% of the legitimate scientific community in the fields involved (immunology, epidemiology, etc) are in consensus that compared to the gigantic benefit to all mankind of modern vaccines, the potential infinitesimally tiny downside of vaccines is negligible in terms of the individual parent’s decision to protect their children and their communities by vaccinating their kids.

* I am also pro-Round Earth theory, pro-Heliocentric Theory, and an Old-Earth evolutionist.