1. Health
Kristin Hayes, R.N.

Capsaicin Nasal Spray, Are You Kidding Me?

By June 18, 2009

A few years back I bought some capsaicin cream and had my husband rub it on my aching back. Capsaicin cream is made from hot peppers. This was our first experience with capsaicin cream. My husband washed his hands with soap and water when he was finished, and I plopped down on the bed waiting for the relief to come.

Suddenly my shoulders began to itch, then they started to burn, then they really started to burn. I was so miserable I hopped up and got in the shower, hoping to wash off the cream. Meanwhile my husband had taken his contacts out for the night. Apparently washing your hands with soap and water does not get rid of capsaicin. When I came out of the shower he was rolling on the floor clutching his eye and cussing up a storm. The shower didn't rid me of my problem either. My entire back was on fire. I woke up several times during the night in misery. The cream did not wear off for three days!

So I think I'll pass on the new capsaicin MucoAd® formula (Sinol-M™). Supposedly it works wonders for allergic rhinitis and the new formula boasts that it lasts even longer. I guess I can see why it would work. I mean, spicy food is known to unclog a stuffy nose and affect post-nasal-drip but, I think I'll pass.

| Twitterstream | Newsletter Signup | Forum |
Comments
June 18, 2009 at 7:46 pm
(1) Michael Hayes says:

Oh… Do I remember that night! One of the worst experiences to date. Unbelievable amounts of anguish. I thought I would go blind for sure. I’m not sure how long the anguish lasted. Or how many times I attempted to flush my eyes with both water from the faucet and saline solution. Unbelievable. If the spray didn’t burn that would be a start, but I imagine it would clean out the sinuses all right as much as it burned my eyes.

June 19, 2009 at 7:29 am
(2) mark evans says:

These creams have more than 3% capsaicin in them which will cause a lot of heat. The Sinol Nasal Spray has less than .1% capsaicin which is simmilar to eating some horseradish or wasabi. Very refreshing and completed with a nice dose of aloe and eucalyptus and using Sinol is a breath of fresh air. My children both use it and love it also. There are not alot of good all natural products out there like this one. Try it you’ll love it!

June 19, 2009 at 9:21 am
(3) Gary W. says:

I used sinus buster not sinol. works really well and is all natural. that is important to me because otherwise the chemicals in the other sprays can cause rebound effect – where your nasal passages actually can become inflamed and then you always feel stuffy. You definitely feel a bite from sinus buster at first, but it works and i am used to it so no big deal.

October 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm
(4) CAS says:

Don’t pass on the Sinol-M! It could very well be the best all natural product you can use. The aloe and rosemary help make it very soothing to your nasal passages and it works great. You can actually measure the benefits from using it. It’s been clinically proven to work and it has become part of my daily routine. And the best is…no more sinus infections or daily sinus headaches. Give it a try!

December 22, 2009 at 10:32 am
(5) Jean says:

Tried sinus buster and it burned my nasal passages so bad that I used it in one nostril only once and threw it away. Would love help with my sinus issues but I don’t believe this is the way to go, for me anyhow

February 2, 2010 at 6:07 am
(6) Ross M. says:

I’ve been addicted to over the counter nasal sprays for years, and have been experiencing some recent sinus infections as a result. Yesterday I decided it was time to go to the doctor for it. But before I went I saw something online about Sinus Buster. I looked at Walgreens online and saw that they carried it, so I figured what the heck, I’ll give it a shot.

So, that first use was incredibly painful. It was like insufflating pepper spray. But the pain passed in probably 30 seconds, and I’ve only used it twice so far, but I’m cautiously optimistic. I can say with certainty that it has wiped out this sinus infection, and I haven’t used the over the counter nose spray for 2 days now. For me, that’s a record.

May 8, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(7) Jean Billings says:

My brotherinlaw works for Zicam. He said they are selling their own capsaicin nasal spray soon and it will be in all the big stores this fall. He said they have perfected pepper nasal spray.

May 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm
(8) Marc says:

I read the same thing about Zicam pepper nasal spray. It will be in stores this winter. It’s called Zicam with pepper and it will replace their zinc nasal spray.

May 20, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(9) Marc says:

I should add that I use sinus buster right now but i will try zicam sinus buster pepper nasal spray too.

August 22, 2010 at 7:32 pm
(10) jennifer says:

First – there are no more Zicam zinc nasal sprays on the shelf. Due to serious side effects they were all recalled. Second: the only zicam sprays now are the same as afrin. with the same chemicals and addiction issues. Third: they also have no plans to launch a pepper spray.

October 19, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(11) Samson says:

I don’t know about the zicam pepper nasal spray but my pharmacist at walgreens told me they will be carrying this new pepper nasal spray soon called sinus wars. It’s pricy stuff but my pharmacist said it will be $14.99 in their stores. http://www.sinuswars.com/remedies/SinusWars10.asp

I’ve used sinol and sinus buster. I think sinus buster is better but this sinus wars stuff looks interesting and it will be a buck cheaper in walgreens.

November 19, 2010 at 10:05 am
(12) JP says:

I live in New Orleans, a top 10 U.S. allergy city. Nearly all of the OTC sinus decongestants rely on the same addictive additive (read the label) which can result in a rebound effect worse than the original congestion. Three days of use just will not cut it down here. Allergy season lasts for months. I’ve suffered from allergies for over 30 years and I can tell you the Sinol absolutely works. It is intense for a minute or two after you use it, make no mistake about that, and you will have significant nasal discharge shortly after use. But for a nonaddictive product it absolutely gets the job done without the side effects of the “chemical” decongestants.

December 1, 2010 at 5:02 pm
(13) Bobby J says:

Just got a sample of the new Zicam pepper capsaicin nasal spray through a special offer. I’ve tried the rest but this is the best! The coupon says it will be avauilable in April.

January 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm
(14) David says:

I tried Allergy Buster. It worked instantly, my headache started to fade and my stuffy nose was gone within a minute. I also felt a slight energy boost and a slight euphoric feeling. I didn’t feel any burning sensation. It was very soothing and four hours later my nose still feels great.

January 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(15) margaret at ENT says:

I work for a prominent ENT office in Washington DC. We use Sinol nasal spray with our patients and for myself. This is a wonderful product and I have been using it for 2 years without a sinus infection or the sniffles from my spring and fall allergies.
I am rather surprised that a write such as yourself could be so narrow minded, shame on you. If you havent tried it your opinion isnt worth much!
Margaret

March 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(16) Martin says:

It appears capsaicyn is getting a LOT of bashing around the net for being dangerous, painful to use, toxic and almost lethal.
And guess what, I drink 2-3 tablespoons of capsaicyn oil per day, and my nasal problems are far less worse then they once were. I think it truly is a very powerful substance capable of the many things people talk about, including fighting off some kinds of tumours etc. There’s tooo much bashing, negative, bad press. I sense big pharma at work here….

March 27, 2012 at 12:54 am
(17) ent says:

No big pharma, just a very painful experience. Some people can build up a tolerance to capsaicyn, and of course, everyone is different. I will never try capsaicyn again, however.

March 14, 2012 at 9:01 pm
(18) Michael Hayes says:

I only wish my wife was paid by pharma. Be careful about throwing out random accusations.

April 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm
(19) Billy J. says:

I’ve tried sinus buster and sinol. Sinus Buster is way better, but now I use the best nasal spray ever. It’s Sinus Plumber with capsaicin and horseradish. The burn doesn’t last the same as those other sprays and it clears you out faster and longer. Sinus Plumber works instantly. It also has wintergreen which seems to make a huge difference. I love the horseradish nasal spray best!

April 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm
(20) johnny says:

That sinol stuff made me sick. Either it has some kind of chemicals in there not listed on the label or it goes bad fast. i am sensitive to chemicals and anything with chemicals makes me sick. I use sinus buster instead but that plumber stuff looks pretty good. Horseradish? Gotta try that!

April 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm
(21) Chaz says:

I tried a few different pepper nasal spray sprays and recently tried the Sinus Plumber with horseradish and pepper. The sinus Plumber is the best hands down. It has a kick but not the same way as plain pepper and it works much faster. not sure if it’s the horseradish or wintergreen, but it keeps you unclogged for at least 6 to 8 hours. No other natural nasal spray has ever done that for me. It doesn’t smell like horseradish either, just wintergreen.

September 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm
(22) jim says:

I used sinus buster for three days my blood pressure went threw the roof. I could not believe it . Sure it worked on my sinus but it might kill you doing it . My buddy bought some at the same time I did he ended up two days later with a bloody nose never had one before in his life , needless to say both are in the trash now .

October 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(23) doddie says:

Just read an article about this in Nov.12 2012 page 40 issue of… for women First. It suggested Sinol allergy& sinus. Worked great and most important I woke not tired and feeling very rested.

October 26, 2012 at 7:35 pm
(24) wendy says:

We used Capsaicin Cream sucessfully for months to help with severe shinkles pain and it delivered!!! It made all the difference.

However you apply NUMBING CREAM first and then apply Capsaicin Cream using the inexpensive rubber gloves.

November 9, 2012 at 9:59 am
(25) MD ENT says:

Capsaicin works very well for the fast relief of allergies and pain associated with headache. We recommend a product called Sinol. It is recommended throughout the country by prominent allergists and ENTs. They are a FDA registered company with a very good presence at the National Allergy shows. Dynamic product that is very well respected throughout the medical community. It’s possibly the best OTC on the market for allergy and sinus issues while also relieving beaches pain quickly!

November 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm
(26) dtp says:

I have suffered with chronic rhinitis for years. My doctor had me on a nasal corticosteriod and Allegra. I decided after years of taking this medicine and still having chronic sinus infections that I would take matters into my own hands. I did research and came across Sinol M. I stopped taking all my prescribed medication and started just taking Sinol. I have not had a sinus infection since switching to Sinol M, which is now almost a year.

Rite Aid just recently stopped carrying Sinol M, so I tried Sinus Buster and I found it to be ineffective. I am now ordering Sinol M online. They are hoping to have it carried by Walgreens in the spring of 2013.

December 4, 2012 at 1:35 am
(27) Tina says:

Had a sinus infection with completely stopped up left nasal passage and lots of green stuff (gross, I know… sorry). Found Sinus Buster and after the first few uses and the “Whoo!” effect, I got used to that sensation and I am breathing easy now and the green is gone! Swear by it!

January 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(28) Adrian says:

Sinol was recommended to me by Alexander Chester, MD. He is one of the top ENT’s in the country and located in Washington,DC. No more sinus infections!

January 25, 2013 at 1:10 pm
(29) Owen Bradley says:

Sinol is a far better blended product than Sinus Buster. Sinus Buster hurts! Shouldn’t even be on the market!

April 4, 2013 at 11:28 am
(30) Dusty says:

I can’t believe a adult man rolling around on floor clutching himself in agony from using SINOL. It has a 1 second tingle. My kids use it. SINOL is awsome, and works great. DON’T PASS IT UP IF YOU WANT RELIEF.

April 7, 2013 at 7:25 pm
(31) Regina says:

I was rubbing Capsaisin on my shoulder and I washed my hand three times. I started to rub my eyes and it started to burn. I used baby shampoo with chamomille and it the burning calmed down.

May 9, 2013 at 8:12 am
(32) Mesha says:

@Dusty he doesn’t say he was in agony from using SINOL. His wife clearly states that she had him rub Capsaicin cream on her back. He washed his hands with soap & water, and took out his contacts. She took a shower because her back started to itch and really burn and when she came out he was in agony. Due to their reactions, she doesn’t want to try SINOL.
I strained my back and my sister rubbed some on for me, saying it was “just a little warm.” I had to take a shower because it got very uncomfortable, she just smirked with a little evil laugh saying it would get better.

July 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm
(33) Sinus Buster fan says:

Step 1: Shake it up before you spray it. Since capsaicin is oil it might separate. 3/4 of my family experiences either chronic stuffiness to daily claratin use. This capsaicin has helped all three of us and – no more claritin. Yes it tingles. the sensation can me modulated similar to eating spicy food. if you scrape your mouth on hard, crunchy food like nachos, the pepper will burn hotter. Likewise, if you have been blowing your nose non-stop for two days before trying this product, you probably won’t be very happy. Also, I recommend you spray, wait a second then sniff. If you snort this stuff into your skull like Al Pacino in Scarface, you might also start looking for the chainsaw. Use some common sense. Even hair dye says try a little bit first. Treat your tissues better than people treat their hair.

October 9, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(34) Mike says:

Sinol works for me. I find this artical the opposite of helpful to people. Many benefits to using this product.

February 27, 2014 at 2:57 pm
(35) Mary Sinclair says:

I have been using capsaicin for pain for years. I discovered how effective it is while filling capsules. My sinus began to drain so I decided to make my own nasal spray. I am sure one can dilute the ready made products with sterile solutions. I have been able to control my nasal congestion with sterile water, cayenne, sea salt.