1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.
Kristin Hayes, R.N.

Should I See an ENT or an Allergist?

By February 13, 2009

Follow me on:

There seems to be a lot of overlap between these two specialists. After all allergies can cause problems routinely treated by ENT doctors, including sinusitis and rhinitis. So which doctor should you see? If you keep in mind the fact that an ENT deals with disorders of the ear, nose, and throat, you can guess that he won't take care of your eyes. Anyone suffering from conjunctivitis along with a sinus problem should probably see an allergist. It also seems logical that if you have a chronic sinus issue that hasn't resolved with medication or surgery the source of the problem may be allergies. Unfortunately, there's no clear cut answer to this question. It may be hit and miss for some patients but if you've hit a dead end with your ENT perhaps it's time to consider seeing an allergist.

January 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm
(1) Allergy Doctor says:

I would definitely recommend an ENT, their title can be a little deceiving but they are definitely an Allergy Doctor and there could be more care than you may expect with what ever the issue ends up being.

September 25, 2011 at 9:57 pm
(2) Phil says:

@Allergy Doctor,

I officially discredited your comment as soon as I realized you were just using the comment system as an opportunity to attempt to increase search engine rankings for your practice. Luckily, the comments use “rel=nofollow” so it didn’t work.

November 5, 2011 at 12:51 am
(3) Patient says:

@Allergy Doctor (AKA ENT masquerading as an allergist)

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.